Stats

Friday, November 14, 2014

Worth Seeing in Eilat

I've written in the past that slowly but surely a Teshuvah Revolution is taking place here in Israel. And it seems like the revolution has not passed over Eilat, Israel's southernmost city.

I was there recently for a short vacation. The hotel that I was staying in did not have a minyan, so early in the morning I set out equipped with my talit, tefilin and siddur to search for one. I saw another Jew similarly equipped walking down the street and I asked him if he knew where I could find a minyan. He told me that he was on the way to the Queen of Sheba Hotel, and that I should come with him.

Now, usually the synagogues in hotels are a located underground in a dimly lit and poorly furnished room. So I was pleasantly surprised to see this spectacular synagogue on the second floor of the hotel:

Rumor has it that wealthy French Jews who frequent the hotel donated the money to make such a beautiful place for worship. Blessed be they that know how to use the wealth that God gave them.

So if you are in Eilat, along with the other wonderful things to do and see, don't miss the Queen of Sheba Hotel synagogue.

2 comments:

Michael Sedley said...

I had a similar experience at the Club Hotel in Eilat.
I was staying at a different hotel nearby, but was told to go to the Club hotel to find a minyan, and sure enough the Beit Knesset in that hotel, although not as large as the one in your photo, is an active beit knesset with minyanim 3 times a day.

The Beit Knesset serves not only hotel guests, but also staff and residents in the area, so there is a guaranteed minyan even if none of the hotel guests show up.

Club Hotel is listed in Go Daven:
http://godaven.com/detail.asp?Id=11660&Name=Default1&City=Eilat

Cosmic X said...

Michael,

I wish I knew about godaven.com. What a fantastic site! Thanks for sharing it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...