Stats

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Al Tishlach Yadcha El HaNa'ar *********

While the entire world was busy chatting about the latest Harry Potter book, I was reading "Al Tishlach Yadcha El HaNaar", by Rabbi Yisrael Meir Lau. Rabbi Lau is well known all over the world as the former Chief Rabbi of Israel, and is currently the Chief Rabbi of Tel Aviv. The book tells Rabbi Lau's life story, from his amazing survival of the holocaust through his event filled term as Israel's Chief Rabbi.

This book is simply fantastic! It is a best-seller here in Israel, and it will be no doubt be translated into many languages. There are certain things in the book that I don't agree with, for instance his flattering descriptions of Yitzchak Rabin, Nelson Mandella and Fidel Castro. However, this does not detract from the overall greatness of the book. I give it nine cosmic stars out of ten.

9 comments:

Barry Freedman said...

Fidel Castro !?

What does he say about Fidel Castro?

Cosmic X said...

Read the book! Rabbi Lau met with the Cuban Heel when he visited the Cuban Jewish Community. They had a three hour conversation. I felt that Castro's oppression of the Cubans in general, and the Cuban Jews in particular was not emphasized enough.

Barry Freedman said...

Maybe I will read it. What did he LIKE about Castro? His beard? Rabbi Lau doesn't smoke a cigar -- or am I mistaken?

Anonymous said...

On many occasions, especially within the last few weeks, many confused Jews have questioned me regarding the Torah’s opinion on the Kahane idea. To most Jews, it is a very complex topic, where you may find some people for it and others in vehement opposition. But what do our great sages say?

Find out totally new stuff at http://heshyshouse.blogspot.com

Batya said...

First I like that Castro tells the US where to go. We should do the same.

I took some good pictures of Rabbi Lau when we were with the Nefesh BNefesh flight. I'll have to put them up on my picture blog. He was too tired for me to interview.

Cosmic X said...

Heshy,

At least start your comment with "OT" = off topic.

I met Rabbi Kahane and met him here in Jerusalem.

I happen to know Rabbi Kahane's son and son-in-laws who are all Torah scholars and baalei midos tovos.

I have read some of his books and he had amazing insights that were proven correct with time. Kahane Tzaddak, period.

I was at Rabbi Kahane's funeral where he was eulogized by Rabbi Mordechai Eliyahu.

I read your post and you don't bring sources to what you say. I like your blog but you would be more convincing if you brought sources.

Cosmic X said...

Barry,

One thing that Rabbi Lau liked about Castro is that he apparently lives modestly.

Barry Freedman said...

CX,
According to Solzhnitsyn's description of Stalin in "The First Circle," Stalin lived modestly as well -- but his subjects lived even more "modestly."

Cosmic X said...

Barry,

LOL! The same is true with Castro.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...