Stats

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

A Different Kind Of Yom Kippur

My wife had given birth to our second child a month and a half earlier, and was nursing her. Our oldest was two years old. According to halacha, my wife had to fast. I wondered, should I spend all day in the synagogue as usual on Yom Kippur, or should I take care of the two year old at least part of the day so that my wife's fast would be easier?

I called Rabbi Shlomo Min-HaHar zt"l. He was incredulous that I even asked the question, and replied that of course I should help my wife take care of the children.

So that Yom Kippur, while everyone was in the synagogue praying Minchah and Ne'ilah, I was wheeling my first born around the neighborhood in his stroller.

Here's a link that deals with some special situations on Yom Kippur.

Gmar Chatima Tova!

2 comments:

Batya said...

HaRav MinHaHar was a great rabbi. I remember when one shabbat he poskened that the city eruv was down and we couldn't carry, but the chareidim in Bayit V'Gan claimed to have their own eruv and carried. HaRav said that he had never seen this eruv, so he didn't change his psak.

Cosmic X said...

ZR,

Thanks. It was an easy fast.

Daat,

Thanks for the encouragement.

Muse,

I wonder if anyone ever collected all of the interesting psakim that Rav Min HaHar issued over the years.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...