Stats

Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Couple of Minutes With RivkA

I met her a couple of years ago at the first jblogger convention. This is what happened to the best of my recollection:

I was milling around the place. Suddenly, two ladies were in front of me. One I recognized right away form the pics on her blog: that was Batya, and I was quite honored to meet the person behind Shiloh Musings.

Batya introduced me to the lady standing next to her. My first impression was: this lady is happy! Some people smile after hearing good news, a good joke or their favorite song. However, this lady had a smile on her face and a look in her eyes that expressed a very deep happiness, something that reached deep down to the inner recesses of her soul. This happiness radiated outward with an intensity that could not be ignored. Indeed, the Blogger Conference was a festive event. People there were enjoying meeting the faces behind the blogs. But was this a reason to be SO happy?

I told her that I was the author of the Cosmic X in Jerusalem blog, which she told me that she had never heard of (not too many have!). I asked her for the name of her blog, and she said, "Coffee and Chemo".

I didn't get it. What in the world is "Keemo"? Is it some kind of caffeinated beverage? Is it a Hebrew word that I wasn't familiar with?

"Keemo?" I asked her.

I think she understood my problem: "Chemotherapy", she added as a clarification.

Now I was in total shock. This lady was in the middle of being treated for the dreaded disease, and she is so incredibly happy. I told here that I would check out her blog, which I did.

I, along with many others had "positive thoughts and prayers" for RivkA. We followed her blog, hoping that she would have a full and speedy recovery. It was not to be.

So what was the secret of her happiness? I think that she realized the value of life, the preciousness of every minute. She was not about to waste time feeling sorry for herself. She was going to enjoy every moment that God gave her in this world to the best of her ability.

In this way she was a walking book of ethics. I learned so much from that short meeting. How many times are we upset or angry about things which are really not important? Do we "serve God in happiness" or with a frown upon our face?

May RivkA's family be comforted with the rest of the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem!

4 comments:

rutimizrachi said...

I think she would be so proud that you picked up one of her key messages in only a few minutes. Talk about using every minute wisely! Kol hakavod. May your experiences grant you much wisdom, but with less pain.

Cosmic X said...

Thanks Ruti.

Batya said...

I have many friends who've survived cancer, but nobody conquered it like RivkA.
She impacted many of our lives.

Cosmic X said...

Well put Batya: She conquered it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...