Stats

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

FOCUS: Bigotry and the Murder of Terri Schiavo

This is a must read. (Hat tip to Power Line.) Here's an excerpt:
Besides being disabled, Schiavo and I have something important in common, that is, someone attempted to terminate my life by removing my endotracheal tube during resuscitation in my first hour of life. This was a quality-of-life decision: I was simply taking too long to breathe on my own, and the person who pulled the tube believed I would be severely disabled if I lived, since lack of oxygen causes cerebral palsy. (I was saved by my family doctor inserting another tube as quickly as possible.) The point of this is not that I ended up at Harvard and Schiavo did not, as some people would undoubtedly conclude. The point is that society already believes to some degree that it is acceptable to murder disabled people.

1 comment:

Batya said...

Reminds me of when a friend was having a difficult pregnancy, and the doctors were sure that the embryo was dead. They wanted to schedule a d&c, but she asked that they wait a day or two, since she had a simcha to go to. A few days later, she got back to the doctor who discovered that everything was fine, and 6 months later had a healthy baby.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...