Stats

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Tikun Leil Shavuot

What are you all going to learn on the eve of Shavuot? I myself am not sure what will happen in real time, but I was thinking about the following:

1) Daf Yomi - it never takes a day off!

2) Rambam's Introduction To His Commentary On The Mishnah - this is in line with my fundamentalist tendencies. It is interesting that the Rambam decided to cover many fundamental issues of Judaism in his introduction. Perhaps he was trying to say, "Before you ask when to read sh'ma at night, first make sure you know how the Torah was transmitted, what prophecy is, etc."

3) Gemara Shabbat 88A ("Kafa Aleihem HaKadosh-Baruch-Hu Et HaHar Kagigit") followed by "Tifferet Yisrael" by the Maharal chapter 32.

4) If I don't doze off Megillat Ruth and Mishnah Bikurim. In the olden days I would walk to the Old City to daven vatikin but "Na'ar Hayiti Gam Zakanti." I'll probably doze off.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

anyone who understands the importance of basketball fundamentals has to be in the
right court.
Keep on shooting.

Batya said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Batya said...

Let's try this again.

I've been hosting a Shavuot shiur in the afternnons, the past few years. For some it's the only one they can get to, and for others it's a welcome addition. It's in English.

Dov will speak about whatever he wants.

If you're within walking distance...

Cosmic X said...

Batya,

Jerusalem to Shilo is a pretty long walk! Who is Dov?

rockofgalilee said...

I've been thinking about it and I'll probably either go to the shiurim in shul or review the dafyomi from the beginning of shabbos to make sure I can still read it over so I have somewhat semblance of an idea of what they're talking about. I probably need som steinzaltz to explain the difference between the 3 kinds of oven.

However, another thought occurred to me that now we only have 1 day of chag. Back in the old country, we stayed up all night and then slept the next day and then had a full day of chag to be chagigi. Now, I won't see my kids if I stay up all night, so I might just skip the staying up all night.

rockofgalilee said...

I don't think I'll be making to shiloh either.

Cosmic X said...

Rock,

I agree with you. Being with the children is more important than being up all night.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...