Stats

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Matisyahu Interview

Aish.com has an exclusive interview with Matisyahu, wherein he explains the changes he has been going through. As a fellow BT, I can relate to what Matisyahu is saying:
I find a tremendous amount of inspiration and truth within Torah and Judaism, but I had taken on certain minhagim, customs, and stringencies that became habit – either because at one point I had connected to them, or simply because I had been convinced that “religious” Judaism had to look a certain way. Over time some of these external aspects, like the beard, had become deadening and oppressive for me. I had to take a step back.

I am still committed to Judaism, to seeking truth through halacha (Jewish law) and observance, but I needed to reconnect to it in a different manner than I did when I first became "religious." I guess you can say it's been a process of maturing religiously and coming to realize that some of what I took on 10 years ago no longer expresses a part of me. I imagine this is a process many Baal Teshuvas go through. I just get to do it in public.
I can only wish him all the best on his continuing journey.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...