Stats

Friday, February 13, 2009

The Healthy American Jew

My friend Tovya left the following comment on my recent post, "The Sick American Jew". Although I have a few reservations (I put them inside square brackets), his comment shows us how the healthy Jew sees himself:
I'm with you 110%, Cosmic.

I read that article yesterday, and it really made me mad when I read it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE America, but my loyalty is with Israel first... because I'm a JEW.

I'm a JEW first. I daven shacharis, mincha, and maariv everyday.. I'm shomer shabbos, I keep glatt kosher Why? Because I'm a Jew first.

America has been a wonderful country to me, and I thank G-d everyday for the blessings that my family came here prior to WWII, so we never had to experience the Shoah...

With that being said, there is only one Jewish nation in the world where I know I am always welcome, and that is Eretz Yisrael.

So, had I been Mr. Pollard, I would have done the same thing in a heart beat. [Here I disagree. He should not have passed classified material to anyone without receiving the permission of his superiors.] He did the right thing, and unfortunately, he embarrassed (and possibly implicated) a lot of Israeli and American politicians by providing information to the only truly loyal and dependable U.S. ally in the world.

Pollard isn't a traitor, he's a hero, and the shame of injustice hangs over the head of every U.S. president and Israeli prime minister who has failed to release him like he deserves.

And shame on the writer of this story for speaking so poorly about a man who loved his people enough to take the risk of saving Jewish lives. G-d bless Jonathan Pollard.
Tovya, Yishar Koach!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

To clarify what I meant by "I would have done it anyway" is based on the investigations by independent sources that stated he found evidence that the U.S. was arming terrorist organizations whose goals are the destruction of the Jewish state.

What he didn't realize at the time, was that Israeli politicians were in on it (for their own reasons, good or otherwise).

Then again, we'll probably never know what information he actually passed on, but if it saved a single Jewish life, it was worth it.

That's why I would have done it as well. Not to hurt America, G-d knows that I love America with all of my heart... but I'd risk anything to save the life of another Jew. It's a mitzvah after all!

So probably by writing this, I've probably screwed myself again (yeah, these types of comments usually get me in trouble, long story) but I don't care.

I can't be silent when another Jew is being mistreated.

I also am the first to criticize another Jew as well when they do wrong (like the little Kach-Kids who throw rocks at soldiers).

Pollard is not forgotten, and he'll get his reward in the olam haba, even if he gets shafted in this one. Hashem is gracious and he never abandons those who hold fast to His Covenant. B"H

Shabbat Shalom!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...