Stats

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Insomnia On Friday Night

Lately I've been suffering from insomnia. I awake after only three or four hours of sleep, without the ability to fall asleep again. It happened again on Leil Shabbos, in spite of me being satiated from a fine Shabbos meal. "Not again," I thought to myself in agony.

I remembered that earlier in the week snow was forecast for Leil Shabbos, so I went to the kitchen to see if in fact the streets of Jerusalem were covered with snow. It does not snow here very often, and I wanted to get a glimpse. Who knows, by the morning it may melt? From the kitchen window I could see that it was raining "cats and dogs", but apparently the air was not cold enough to turn this precipitation into snow. The wind outside howled, and I thanked G-d that I had a warm house to be in during such inclement weather. Then I recalled my days as a soldier where guard duty and patrols took place 24 hours a day seven days a week no matter what the weather. I thought of the soldiers that were on duty now, protecting my family and the rest of the people of Israel from the Islamofascists. I was very thankful to them as well.

"It was worth waking up just for those two thoughts," I thought to myself. I went back to my bed and slept well until the morning.

2 comments:

Batya said...

When I see soldiers on the roads, patroling and checking, it's frightening to think that my baby son is doing the same thing.

Cosmic X said...

May G-d keep him and the rest of the soldiers safe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...